I personally decided to quit my job, but maybe that is too harsh of a step for you. I devised some questions to help in the decision making process. I hope they will give you a new angle with your decision to travel long term or short. Some of the questions may not apply to your situation, but for those that do, it’s important to think carefully and be honest with yourself:
- Is my current work environment something I want to return to? Is my current job my passion, or just “a job”?
- Am I traveling to feel completely free with no deadlines or obligations to return to? Will I feel fulfilled throughout my trip if I have an exact return date on my mind?
- Define your priorities. Not to take this post into a dark place, but if you were about to take your last breath on earth, which decision would likely make you happier in the end?
- Have I saved enough money to allow myself to travel for as long I feel its necessary to reach my travel goals?
- Am I ok living on a decreased budget in order to travel for an extended period of time?
- How willing am I to give up the comfort and security of my job?
- Is traveling a life goal?
- Am I timing this trip properly? Looking forward, is this the best and most reasonable time for me to travel for an extended period of time?
- Is the pain of keeping my job and living my current life worse than the pain of seeing it all in the rearview mirror as I leave to travel the world?
- Is there anything that would persuade me to keep my job? More money? A promotion?
- Do I care about the opinions of my friends and family if they think I’m making a big mistake by quitting my job to travel?
- What am I looking to get out of my travels? Educationally? Experientially? Socially?
If there are additional questions you feel should be on the list, please comment or message me.
Thanks for reading!